Pinewood Fire Department began as a volunteer department in 1973. And as the needs of the community grew, so did we. Today, Pinewood has a team of 15 full-time firefighters, including 12 paramedics, as well as 6 reserve firefighters and 12 volunteer firefighters, who all bring unique skills, experiences and perspectives to the department. And even though we come from all walks of life, and communities throughout Northern Arizona, we work toward a common goal – to serve those in need at their moment of need.
To ensure that we are prepared to provide our community with the highest quality of care, our full-time firefighters are expected to grow and challenge themselves throughout their careers. This may be accomplished at colleges and universities, via online coursework or at a wide range of seminars and training sessions held at Pinewood, as well as throughout the state and across the country. As part of our team, Pinewood volunteers are also expected to learn and grow alongside us. Just a few of the ways we help encourage this include:
• Reimbursement of approved college class tuition (EMS, Fire, Hazmat, etc.)
• Monthly trainings at the station
• Annual live fire training*
• Annual physicals*
We expect a lot of our volunteers because our community expects a lot from our department. To that end, we require that that all volunteers:
• Commit to working four 12-hour shifts per month
• Are, at minimum, certified first responders, however they are encouraged to pursue certification in EMT, Fire 1+2, Wildland, Hazmat, and Special Operations.
• Attend 3-hour trainings at the station every other Saturday.
For detailed information regarding current volunteer opportunities available at Pinewood Fire Department, please see job opportunities or contact Chris Stoltze.
*Only volunteers who are certified Fire 1+2 with a current CPAT may attend these events.